Man and a van Wroxham NR12

Both Wroxham and Hoveton have several boat building and pleasure craft hire yards. Other local industries include the canning of soft fruits. Wroxham village had at one time – for much of the 20th century – its own public house (The Castle, in Norwich Road), four village shops (one in Castle Street and three in Norwich Road) and a primary school (in Church Lane), all now closed. A public library was built near Bridge Broad, a small broad near Wroxham Bridge, in the 1960s.

However, Wroxham has almost merged with Hoveton – each village growing on either bank of the river – with much of the area’s commercial activity developing in Hoveton. The area around Wroxham Bridge is a local shopping centre, mainly due to the presence of Roys of Wroxham – situated near Wroxham Bridge since 1899 and, since the 1930s, proud bearer of the accolade “world’s largest village store”.[8] Roys owns much of the commercial property in the area. In fact, Roys of Wroxham is entirely situated in Hoveton – as are the local post office and the Hotel Wroxham. It seems that the proximity and name of Wroxham Bridge – one side of which, naturally, is in Hoveton – gave rise to the common attribution of the name ‘Wroxham’ to that part of Hoveton that is close to the river and may be considered the commercial centre for both villages. Like many other local amenities, the station – previously called simply Wroxham Station – is actually located in Hoveton. Now called Hoveton and Wroxham railway station, it is on the Bittern Line from Norwich to Cromer and Sheringham, and the terminus of the narrow gauge Bure Valley Railway to Aylsham.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/