Spixworth is a civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The village lies close to the B1150 roadand is 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Norwich and some 10 miles (16.1 km) south of North Walsham. It covers an area of 4.80 km2 (1.85 sq mi) and had a population of 3,769 in 1,508 households at the 2001 census. including Beeston St. Andrew but decreasing to a population of 3,718 in 1,579 households at the 2011 Census. For the purposes of local government, it falls within the district of Broadland.
The village was known as Spikeswurda in Norman times and the name is believed to be derived from either the River Spikes (now Spixworth Beck) or Spic meaning swine pasture. The suffix worthis from the Anglo-Saxon yrth meaning land sloping from water or marsh. Alternatively the name is possibly derived from the OE spics (bacon farm) and worth (enclosure).
From Saxon times the village has been part of the Taverham Hundred. Prior to the Norman conquest of 1066 much of the land was held by a Saxon freeman known as Suart. After the conquest, Spixworth and other surrounding villages were given to Roger of Poictiers. In 1199, Peter Bardoph became Lord of the Manor, a position the family held to 1485. The estate was eventually sold to William Peck in 1602. Peck, Sheriff of Norwich in 1561 and Mayor of the city in 1573 and 1586, built Spixworth Hall in 1607. The house and estate subsequently passed into the hands of the Longe family. By the 20th century the hall had fallen into disrepair and it was demolished in 1950. Much of the surrounding estate had already been absorbed by neighbouring farms.
The village today
Due to its proximity to Norwich the village is a popular residential area. Amenities include an infant school, a junior school, a dental practice, a doctor’s surgery, a village hall, a motel, the Longe Armspublic house and a wide selection of retail outlets and services.
The Church of St Peter
A church has stood on the same site for 900 years. The present day church dates from 1160 and is built in the Early English style. The narrow pencil shaped tower is the oldest part of the church. Inside the building is a Norman font. Also, of note is the 17th century memorial depicting two life–sized corpses and the church bells some of which date from 1350.
Scheduled services link the village to Norwich and further afield.
Sport and leisure